Thursday 5 April 2012

E is for Eliot

E is for George Eliot and T.S.Eliot

George Eliot's The Mill on the Floss is one of my favourite books. After reading an excerpt from The Mill on the Floss in my school English reader, I read this book. The Mill on the Floss tells the story of Maggie Tulliver from her childhood, her escapades as a kid, her relationship with her brother, and about a man who loves her and another whom she loves.

I had to read T.S. Eliot's Family Reunion for my degree and I didn't like it. What is this thing about Eumenides haunting you? Can the sins of your fathers haunt you? What is thing pain being joy? But as days go by Eliot along with his Eumeides come to haunt me. I think if I don't like Eliot Eumenides will take their vengeance on me.

If I tried to explain, you could never understand;
Explaining would only make a worse misunderstanding...

Accident is design
And design is accident
In a cloud of unknowing.

Have you read anything by these Eliots? There is one another Eliot, an author I will write about later. Have you heard about the other Eliot?

No comments: