Wednesday 5 July 2023

Parade by Shuichi Yoshida

 An apartment in Tokyo is shared by 4 young people, two boys and two girls. They each take turn to narrate the story. There is something fishy going on in their neighbouring apartment. Young girls go out crying. All sorts of men visit the apartment. One fine day, they have a new housemate. Who is he? How did he get into the house? They take for granted that he is friends with one of the other roommates. 

There are a series of murders of young girls happening in the neighbourhood. Who is the killer? Will the girls be safe? 

This is not exactly a thriller. More like slice of life kind of story. I wasn’t expecting the end. There was a kind of nonchalance among all four on how casually they take things. I read Villain by Yoshida a few years back. I think I liked it, that’s one of the reasons I picked this one. 

No comments: