Tuesday 9 October 2007

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Though I finished reading the book on July 23rd itself, I had been thinking about wondering about lot of issues. I wouldn’t tell them here.

I have not read the first two Potter books. But I have seen the movies and read all the others. My favourite so far is Prisoner of Azkaban and Sirius Black is my favourite character.
Now about Deathly Hallows. There has been a lot of expectations about this book. This being the last book in the series, is a book of conclusions and tying up all the loose ends. This is also the final climax between Potter and Voldermot. While some are not really surpises and there are a few surprises. I am not going to tell about them.

Intial reaction after finishing the book was dissatisfaction. It was followed by confusion. And finally when I told the story to one of my friends who had not read any of the books but seen all the movies, I understood the story better. I do wonder why certain things were not spelt clearly so the story would be more enjoyable. There are bits in the story where it sounds boring. Like when Harry, Hermoine and Ron are in hiding. They keep changing places. So how long will they keep changing their hiding place and why does nothing happens. It is almost testing the patience. Some parts keep reminding of Lord of the Rings. Especially when Ron and Harry take turns to wear the locket and the locket seems to make them nasty and illtempered. There are lots and lots of questions. Like as it is shown in previous books that there is a connection between Harry and Voldermort and if you remember Voldermort uses this connection to implant ideas in Harry’s mind in an earlier book, why does he not do anything about it in this book.

What I like about this book is that unlike some books where the full glory goes to the main character, here other characters also play a major role in the story. Snape is a real surprise. Who would actually imagine that he was doing what he was doing? I could even say, I fell in love with Snape. I have moved my allegiance from Black to Snape. I would also think that Snape is much better than Black in many ways.

I have more to say. I will some other time. Yes. I loved the book.

No comments: