Thursday 23 February 2012

Double Indemnity by James M. Cain

I saw the movie Double Indemnity but had no clue it was based upon a book. I liked the movie so I wanted to try the book. Insurance agent Walter Huff knows what he is getting into when Mrs.Phyllis Nirdlinger asks him about Accident insurance. But he is so enamoured by Phyllis that he plans and executes the perfect crime for her. Will the police or insurance office find his role in the case? What will be the consequence of his crime? It is about planning and execution of a crime, so there will not be many surprises, right? Wrong, at just little more than 130 pages the book is a treat for Crime fiction lovers. Absolutely great! I am definitely reading other books by Cain.

This counts towards various challenges. I would categorise this as a caper story for the Merely Mystery Reading Challenge. The novella is published in 1935 and I borrowed it from my local library.

1 comment:

Bev Hankins said...

This and The Postman Always Rings Twice are both on my long TBR list. Too many good books and not enough time!