Saturday 21 July 2012

High Summer Readathon Mini-Challenges

Nova at My Seryniti is hosting a Page 99 Test challenge.

I picked up The Tiger's Wife by Tea Obreht. Page 99 illustrates the kind of book it will be descriptive lyrical with tales from past. It does hold my attention. I want to know about Mother Vera. I would definitely pick it up to read.

Her hands, crossed in front of her, are the hands of a laborer; her expression seems to indicate that the photographer owes her money.

And

The view from the garden opened out onto green mountains above town, and the valley through which a bright, broad river still widens and then contracts around a bend with a red-steepled church.


Laura @ Book Snob is hosting a mini-challenge for participants of High Summer Readathon. To participate :Take one aspect of your book and show an illustration/picture/photo for it. Then explain it briefly so we know the connection to the book you are reading.

I am reading Bram Stoker's Dracula and part of the action takes place in Whitby.

Right over the town is the ruin of Whitby Abbey, which was sacked by the Danes, and which is the scene of part of "Marmion," where the girl was built up in the wall. It is a most noble ruin, of immense size, and full of beautiful and romantic bits. There is a legend that a white lady is seen in one of the windows.

Then as the cloud passed I could see the ruins of the abbey coming into view, and as the edge of a narrow band of light as sharp as a sword-cut moved along, the church and churchyard became gradually visible.

I am posting a photo of Tynemouth Priory ruins (taken in March 2007) which captures the essence instead of Whitby Abbey only because I visited Tynemouth and when I am reading the Dracula my mind pictures this place.

2 comments:

Laura Kozy Lanik said...

I want to read both of those books and they are sitting on my shelf waiting for me.

Thanks for participating in the mini-challenge at Booksnob. You are the winner!!! Please give e-mail me so I can send out your Amazon gift card. Congrats!
booksnobsblog at gmail dot com

srivalli said...

Thanks a lot Laura. I am super excited.