Thursday 3 February 2011

Another Chance by Ahmed Faiyaz

My first reaction on reading the book is "Thank god! It is not in present tense". I don't have anything against novels in present tense. I have read many, though I cannot name one offhand, that carry present tense very well, so much so that you don't notice the tense at all. Now, for the story. Aditya Sharma and Ruheen Oberoi's college romance ends in a jiffy, as Ruheen's ex who is obssessed with her will not let her go. The love birds part ways, Aditya still has feelings for Ruheen, Ruheen has moved on. In an impulse she gets married to London based Rohan and is thrown into a life of violence and abuse. Ruheen manages to escape this life and meets Aditya again. They live together. Their relationship faces lots of problem and finally they break up. Aditya wants Ruheen back, will he get another chance? Love, life etc was more interesting and engrossing than Anothet chance, probably because there were four protagnists, here it is mostly Aditya only. Will I give Ahmed Faiyaz another chance? No, mainly because it is not my genre. I am not the love story kind. I love crime fiction. I am drawn to this book because of the novelty of a love story set in contemporary India. But the novelty wears off. There should really be more substance to give it Another Chance.

No comments: