Thursday 6 October 2011

From Out the Vasty Deep by Marie Belloc Lowndes

I like books that come straight to the point. From Out the Vasty Deep published in 1921 starts with Miss Farrow asking Pegler to be sensible as there are no such thing as ghosts. Pegler has seen a ghost in her room and does not want to continue staying in the room. Miss Blanche Farrow is a no nonsense woman over forty, playing hostess at the Christmas party of her twice widowed friend Lionel Varick at Wyndfell Hall, which is supposed to be haunted for over hundred years. The Christmas guests consists of Mr Burnaby and Miss Burnaby and their niece Helen Brabazon, Blanche's niece Bubbles Dunster (I like the name Bubbles) her friend Bill Donnington, James Tapster, Sir Lyon and finally Dr.Panton who is to join them soon. Events unfold one after another there are ghosts, seance, astral body(whatever it means), romance, some psychology. To sustain interest in a story where the mystery is so glaringly obvious is difficult but Lowndes does a great job and events unfold in quick succession. Considering that I don't like ghost stories, or ones in which everything is not explained in Poirot fashion who did what and why? I loved this book. I don't mind that everything is not explained.
I wonder if I have read anything by Marie Belloc Lowndes before. Her name sounds very familiar but the bibliography not so familiar. I enjoyed reading this and would certainly try other books by her, not only because they are available free in Gutenberg.

2 comments:

Bev Hankins said...

You're coming up with some really nice, little known books! I've read The lodger by Lowndes, but didn't realize there were others.

srivalli said...

I would like to read The Lodger if I finish all the challenges I have joined this year.