Thursday 12 January 2012

Friday Memes

Friday Book Beginnings is a weekly Meme hosted at A Few More Pages.

This is from The Vault by Ruth Rendell

'A curious world we live in,' said Franklin Merton, 'where one can afford a house but not a picture of a house. That must tell us some profound truth. But what, I wonder?'

Yes some really profound truth. But what, I too wonder?

Friday 56 hosted @ Freda's Voice is a weekly Meme where we share an interesting snippet from page 56 of our current read. This is also from Ruth Rendell's The Vault

'On holiday, I reckon, and while the cat's away the mice will play. That's all it was, a try-on.'



11 comments:

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

Sounds like a fascinating book...thanks for sharing.

Here's MY FRIDAY MEMES POST and
MY WEBSITE

fredamans said...

I agree with Laurel, I'm curious to know more.

Tea said...

I've always meant to read one of Ruth Rendell's mysteries. She's a prolific author.

Yvonne @ Fiction Books Reviews said...

Hi Srivalli,

Ruth Rendell is an author that I can read any time, so I wouldn't need to know anything about the first lines, to see me picking this one up off the shelves.

I have made a note of 'The Vault' however, because this is one of her books that I definitely have not read, so thanks very much for the recommendation.

Have a good weekend.

Yvonne

Anonymous said...

Ruth Rendall is one of my favourite writers. This one is on my wishlist.

JC Jones said...

What a curious start to a book.

Bev Hankins said...

Definitely sounds like another good one by Rendell.

Here's mine: http://myreadersblock.blogspot.com/2012/01/friday-memes_13.html

test said...

I've never heard of Rendell!

'where one can afford a house but not a picture of a house.' - I wonder how that is even possible! must be a really famous painter!

http://guiltlessreading.blogspot.com/2012/01/of-friday-56-and-her-fathers-guns.html

scribeswindow said...

I love mystery books but haven't ever read Ruth Rendell. Now I feel like I'm missing out..... Your snippet makes me realise why she's so successful.

srivalli said...

Ruth Rendell is one of my favourite and I would definetly pick a book by her whatever the beginning. Thanks for stopping by!

srivalli said...

If you love mysteries, Ruth Rendell is the writer for you.