Thursday 1 November 2012

Crime Fiction Pick of the Month October 2012

Crime Fiction Pick of the Month October 2012

I read the following Crime Fiction in October 2012. Here are the books

The Caller by Karin Fossum
The Maltese Falcon by Dashiell Hammett
Whited Sepulchres by Anne Perry
The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters
The Middle Temple Murder by J S Fletcher
The Service of all Dead by Colin Dexter
A Dark Adapted Eye by Barbara Vine

All the reads this month were terrific. The Maltese Falcon is a great classic, I loved the crazy, 'merry-go-round' mystery. Barbara Vine/Ruth Rendell is my favourite writer, and I go crazy over her books. A dark Adapted Eye is the first book by Ruth Rendell writing as Barbara Vine and establishes what to expect from Vine books. I discovered Jo Nesbo this year and I am discovering other Norwegian writers. I enjoyed The Caller by Karin Fossum and look forward to read her other books. The Little Stranger is not strictly crime fiction, but it is. I loved the writing and the mystery. I always loved Inspector Morse, mean, crazy and all. The Service of all Dead is really crazy too.

But the crime fiction pick of the month is The Middle Temple Murder by J S Fletcher, because it had twists and turns, surprises and I didn't guess the killer and most of all it didn't have an open ending unlike the other terrific reads this month. I hate open endings.

No comments: