Sunday 18 June 2023

Far from the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy

 #12 of 54 of BBC Big Read

Do I love Hardy? How do I love Hardy? Why haven’t I read this book before? Why?

Hardy is one of my favourite authors and reading this made me remember why. Bathsheba Everdene, a beauty like no other. She isn’t shy, demure, she is fiercely independent. She knows her mind. She knows what she wants. She also knows what she doesn’t want. Sometimes it takes a lifetime to understand what you need. 

Bathsheba reminded me a bit of Scarlett O’Hara both fiercely independent taking things into their hands. Not damsels in distress. 

Small prank Bathsheba plays puts things into motion and causes pain  to many. What if she had played the prank on Sergeant Troy. How would the story had gone? Why didnt Oak reveal who Sergeant was to Bathsheba. I think even Bathsheba knew who he was. She was just blinded by his charm and uniform. Wickham’s of the world do have a charm that hides their villainous nature. Was Troy a villain? Or was he just blinded by her beauty. When I could have her and her wealth, why should I settle for something less? 

Farmer Boldwood living his own life. She didnt exist for him. Why did she have to disturb him and lead to the way things are? She didn’t mean them to happen. 

I really enjoyed this one. Savoured every bit. Took my own sweet time to read this, didn’t hurry. Just enjoyed strolling in the countryside far from the madding crowd.

No comments: