Sunday 2 July 2023

Midnight’s Children by Salman Rushdie

 #13 of 54 BBC Big Read

Contains Spoilers

Among the list, I could say there were two books I was really intimidated I would say. Magical Realism and Stream of consciousness not really my cup of tea. And I am a coffee drinker. Lord Jim is one of my favourite books and I think thats how far I could go with Stream of consciousness.

So this is my third attempt at Midnight’s Children. At my first attempt, after few repeats of perforated sheet, I resigned. Second attempt, I read till Mercurochrome.

This time, I think, I made a wise choice decided to go for audiobook. I normally don’t go for audiobooks as my mind wavers easily and I loose much on the plot and then I lose interest and eventually pick up the book.

This is narrated by Homer Todiwala. My mind didn’t waver much. It felt like someone was telling me a story as opposed to someone reading a book to me. I like listening to stories and what a story this is. Liked all the voice modulations made by the narrator especially to emphasise ‘Reverend Mother’ and Whatsitsname. 

Salman Rushdie plays on the favourite Bollywood tropes, babies exchanged at birth. Rich kid growing in poor kids home. Muslim kid growing in Hindu’s house. Vice versa. This big interchange made by a Christian nurse. The amalgamation of religions. There is another trope on amnesia.

There is a nod to the famous Nanavati case. Reverend Mother and how all women take up a new name. , Black Alphonso and Brass Monkey was a bit haunting not just for Saleem. 

The last 100 pages or so,  I read the book as there were still 8 hrs left in the audiobook and I had to get to the end as soon as possible. What was that. What happened to Saleem? Who were the ladies in the Kali temple turning everything transparent? Yup, is that the only thing I am questioning?

Its kind of poetic justice, that Saleem’s wife is pregnant with Shiva’s kid. Saleem stole Shiva’s life and Shiva wins back the life for his child. 

Narlikar women, William Methwald with fake centre parting, ‘nose and knees’,  Rani of Cooch Nahin, Buddha and Buddha, Hairoil and Eyeslice and Joseph D’Costa’s ghost, Cyrus the great, Mrs Braganza’s pickle ana Aliya’s bitterness mixed in everything she cooks, the Widow and the widow’s hand. Dont think I will be forgetting any of these any time soon.

Its crazy. But it follows India’s unique oral storytelling tradition with million digressions. Not very difficult to listen and but definitely very difficult to read. 

No comments: